A simple dressing marries flavours and can really bring a dish to life - which is why I love them! I also think that everyone needs a myriad of simple dressings in their plant prep toolkit. Whether creamy and cashew-based, tart and vinegary, herby or citrusy.
I will be updating this post with simple dressings as they come to light =)
When we first moved to Stockholm, I quickly became addicted to a salad comprising beets, goats cheese, honey, walnuts, leafy greens and a tangy balsamic dressing. With the exception of the goats cheese, looking back I'd say this salad was one of the early instigators in my plant based adventure. Here is a simple balsamic dressing, ready and waiting until my version of the 'early Sweden' salad is in place.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp filtered water
- 1/2 cup cold pressed olive oil
- 2 medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp raw honey (I like to use New Zealand manuka honey)
- 1 tsp chopped shallot
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or himalaya mountain salt
Blend all ingredients, except for the olive oil, in a high speed blender. Once blended, slowly pour in the olive oil while the blender is running on low speed.
- Experiment by adding your favourite chopped herbs for e.g. parsley, chives, thyme etc.
- Try varying by adding 1/2 tsp of dijon mustard to the blend. Mustard and balsamic vinegar are great friends!